Riegel Presses on with Belle Terre Investigation

JamesImageIn an email obtained by JIM, Charleston City Councilman and former Mayor Pro Tempore Dean Riegel, in an email from James Island Town Councilman Darren “Troy” Mullinax, the Councilman of the issue. To his credit, and that of Mullinax, City staffer Laura Cabiness has been tasked with reviewing the controversial decision that led to the gating of the , an act typically forbidden by City mandates.City Staffer Laura Cabiness will be re0pening the case and presenting Council her findings. See Below for the emails that got things moving again.

From: Riegel, Dean
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:51 PM
To: Cabiness, Laura
Cc: Perry K. Waring (kwaring@chasassoc.com); Metzler, Michael; O’Brien, Tom F.; Andrews, Adelaide; Kathleen Wilson
Subject: Belle Terre / Parrott Point Drive
Laura:
Thank you for following up on the inquiries by Kathleen and myself.  I will be interested to review your summary report.
Thank you for everything that you do for the City.
Dean C. Riegel, B.S.; M.A.
Past Mayor Pro Tempore
Charleston City Council
District # 10
2113 Virginia Oak Court
Charleston, SC 29414-6155
Office:   843-207-7130
Mobile:  843-708-0245
Fax:       843-207-8633
Toll:        866-282-7935

From: Cabiness, Laura
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:37 PM
To: Kathleen Wilson
Cc: Riegel, Dean; Perry K. Waring (kwaring@chasassoc.com); Metzler, Michael; O’Brien, Tom F.; Andrews, Adelaide
Subject: RE: Belle Terre / Parrott Point Drive

I am completing the review and will send you a summary report as soon as I have had a chance to share this with the Mayor.

From: Kathleen Wilson [mailto:aquaharp@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 6:01 PM
To: Cabiness, Laura
Subject: Re: Belle Terre / Parrott Point Drive

I share the concern that we may never reach the necessary number of certificates of occupancy.

I drove back there last evening and found the gates closed on both ends of the development, both with very permanent looking gates.

I look forward to a more detailed status report and appreciate your efforts.

Kathleen

Sent from my iPad

On May 3, 2013, at 3:28 PM, “Cabiness, Laura” <CABINESSL@charleston-sc.gov> wrote:

Councilmember Riegel,

Following up on our phone call, I’m reviewing the encroachment agreement to make sure they are in compliance.  I have sent an inspector and he reports that the pedestrian access that we required is in place.  The gates are elaborate and substantial and they may be causing some of the concern but we knew this when the temporary encroachment was approved and the HOA agreed that when the substantial build out is reached the gates will be permanently  opened.  I will send a full status report next week providing a summary of what was approved in the encroachment agreement and some suggestions about how the city might want to respond to the neighborhood that is generating the concern and the Belle Terre property owners.

Laura

________________________________________

From: Darren [darrentroymullinax@myway.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 12:45 PM
To: Riegel, Dean
Subject:

Councilman Riegel:
I hope that all has been well with you since our last correspondence. I am writing you today regarding the development which is next to the established Lighthouse Point .

You most likely already know, but this development that only, at present, consist of one home, has constructed a massive iron gate at the western end of Parrot Point Drive and another at the southern end of Tanner Trail. The residents of Lighthouse Point had been told that this would be temporary and the Charleston Public Works Committee had said that the gates would have to be opened during the day upon the county’s issuance of 21 certificates of occupancy. It is doubtful that this will ever happen, however. It seems that the management firm overseeing the property, Sentry Management, may not issue the necessary 21 certificates in an effort to make a permanent.

A representative of the firm, Danny DeSimoni, said in a letter sent last year to members of the Terra Homeowners Association that, “the gates should remain closed for many years.” He felt that it would “provide a tremendous return on each land owner’s investment”.
What is disturbing to the residents of Lighthouse Point is that the President of the Terra HOA, Paul Feldman, had initially said that the gates were needed to prevent vandalism, but would be opened during the day so pedestrian and bicycle traffic could access the public road and the walking paths.

Councilmember Kathleen Wilson has worked hard to assist Lighthouse Point with this concern during the past several months, but I thought that as Mayor Pro Tempore of Charleston, you may want to be made aware of this situation of a developer’s possible effort to skirt the requirements of the Public Works and Utilities Committees.
There was a good article that appeared on the front cover of the James Island Messenger regarding this. It goes into much more detail than this letter. Any assistance you could provide Councilwoman Wilson and the Lighthouse Point would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Darren Troy Mullinax
Member
James Island Town Council

To his credit Riegel responded – See the email chain below for more info…
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: “Riegel, Dean” <RIEGELD@charleston-sc.gov>
To: Darren Troy Mullinax <darrentroymullinax@myway.com>
Cc: “charlie@jimpaper.com” <charlie@jimpaper.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 20:09:13 -0400
Subject: / Parrott Point Drive
Darren:
Please review the attached correspondence regarding the Development.  The principle of granting a “temporary encroachment” was never meant to be abused in the manner which is occurring at Development.
I have requested that Laura Cabiness confer with the City’s Legal staff and provide a status report to the Public Works Committee.
Frankly, if I do not see some justification from the Development for their actions, I am going to lobby for immediate revocation of the “temporary encroachment.”
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I will keep you advised.  Please have a great weekend.
Dean C. Riegel, B.S.; M.A.
Past Mayor Pro Tempore
Charleston City Council
District # 10
2113 Virginia Oak Court
Charleston, SC 29414-6155
Office:   843-207-7130
Mobile:  843-708-0245
Fax:       843-207-8633
Toll:        866-282-7935
________________________________________
From: Kathleen Wilson [aquaharp@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 6:00 PM
To: Cabiness, Laura
Cc: Riegel, Dean; Perry K. Waring (kwaring@chasassoc.com); Metzler, Michael; O’Brien, Tom F.; Andrews, Adelaide
Subject: Re: / Parrott Point Drive
I look forward to a more detailed status report and appreciate your efforts.
Kathleen
Sent from my iPad
On May 3, 2013, at 3:28 PM, “Cabiness, Laura” <cabinessl@charleston-sc.gov> wrote:
Councilmember Riegel,
Following up on our phone call, I’m reviewing the encroachment agreement to make sure they are in compliance.  I have sent an inspector and he reports that the pedestrian access that we required is in place.  The gates are elaborate and substantial and they may be causing some of the concern but we knew this when the temporary encroachment was approved and the HOA agreed that when the substantial build out is reached the gates will be permanently opened.  I will send a full status report next week providing a summary of what was approved in the encroachment agreement and some suggestions about how the city might want to respond to the neighborhood that is generating the concern and the property owners.
Laura
From: Riegel, Dean
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 2:39 PM
To: Riegel, Dean; Cabiness, Laura
Cc: Metzler, Michael; O’Brien, Tom F.
Subject: RE: / Parrott Point Drive
Any updates  ??
Dean C. Riegel, B.S.; M.A.
Past Mayor Pro Tempore
Charleston City Council
District # 10
2113 Virginia Oak Court
Charleston, SC 29414-6155
Office:   843-207-7130
Mobile:  843-708-0245
Fax:       843-207-8633
Toll:        866-282-7935
________________________________________
From: Riegel, Dean
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:11 PM
To: Cabiness, Laura
Cc: Metzler, Michael; O’Brien, Tom F.
Subject: / Parrott Point Drive
Laura:
I never heard what the disposition was on this matter.  Please advise.
As always, thank you.
________________________________________
From: Riegel, Dean
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:11 PM
To: Darren
Subject: RE:
Darren:
This is an unacceptable disregard for the citizens of our City and our City ordinances.  I sit on the Public Works Committee and we never approved anything like this in our meeting.
This will come to a rapid halt!!  I am forwarding to Laura Cabiness, Director of Public Works for the City.  I will advise you in the morning.
Thank you again for your service to our .
Dean C. Riegel, B.S.; M.A.
Past Mayor Pro Tempore